Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Helping

Most concern themselves with fairness,
Some with responsibility,
Others remain indifferent
Fewer still, offer help.

Fairness, the cry of the poor,
And the demand of the rich,
Rends faux arguments,
And asks for equivalents.

“Why me?, or why not me?
Where is the justice in all this?
Must I go without?
My burden is too great”

Countered by comments like,
“--- bootstrapping”, “lazy”
“blood suckers” “dumb”
“taxpayer dollars” played on a clichéd editorial.

Responsibility, home of the righteous,
Looks for the innocent and guilty,
Seeks to assess blame,
And demand redress (If only that were possible).

“It is not my problem” states the indifferent,
Unless the death of a child
In a rat infested apartment,
Intrudes on his reverie.

How rare the helper
Sharer of food and smiles,
Whose existential calling
Allows a sliver of hope.

No comments: