Friday, December 7, 2007

Beliefs

Judging the entries was not easy.
I brought too much “adult” to the children’s holiday cards.
“Are the drawings clever, do the words warm me?
Can I use the same standards for a 1st & 5th grader?

Most of them wished for “peace”.
Was the submission that showed
A Christmas tree and a menorah a child’s hope,
Or a parent’s belief?
And did it matter?

Every entry used reds and blues,
Bright colors along with holiday greetings,
No “Christmas” on any of the 26 submissions,
Although a few had non-denominational angels.

With only 3 ribbon-bearers to choose
How indifferent would all the others
Pretend to be?
Why not 26 blue ribbons?

I believe that children have children’s dreams.
I believe that “possibility” starts with them.
I believe they can soften my cynicism.
I beileve Dr. King might have been right.

No comments: