Friday, February 15, 2008

Unexpressible.

There was this understanding.
We were, and remain today,
A very loving family.

Some truths do not require a voice.
Some are just too. Too what?
Too embarrassing to state openly?

What was the omen that cautioned us
Not to say words that committed?
Under who's roof, under what commandment,
Facing what threat did we avoid sounds of endearment.

I have said those words
But not before I turned 60.
I say them hurriedly, 
Feeling pressured not to linger,
Wanting to qualify the sentiment as to time and place.

As a child we were taught never to say God’s name?
I feel no such compunction now.
Those other words, warm and caring, somehow cheapened
By casual usage, must not be squandered.

So I now brave the sacred hill,
Telling friends and family that I love them,
Then hurriedly moving beyond the meaning

No comments: