Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Alone

It was over.
So many dreams fell into the pit that had been my center,
Confirming again, and yet again, that if hope is essential,
Life will have its tragedies.

I had come to revive the spirits of a diminishing congregation.
My wife and I, heavily invested in the church teachings,
Believed we had something worth sharing and a marriage worth saving.

8 months later I sit, alone, in this mockingly happy hotel room
Bright, newly repainted, pinkish walls, earth tone furnishings,
Wondering about the business career I’d abandoned
To bring others A measure of enlightenment.
The arrogance!

I am old enough to know that eventually the pain will pass,
Young enough to know that with the passing will come new
Dreams that will lift my spirit,
And self absorbed enough to recognize times passage will not help today.

I will call a friend, my friend, who might listen
And offer something that questions my uselessness.

Allow me, with an embarrassment of tenses, to tell you what my friend said,
“I will come and get you”.

No comments: