Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Words

Your thoughts, silent and invisible, cannot be judged
Yet your words not merely predict action,
They are in themselves action,
And reaction tells of their value.

Is my “good morning” pleasing,
Does it suggest my recognition of your presence
Or do you hear a voice
Prerecorded in a meaningless sound bite?

If I express doubt,
Is it a preamble to an inquiry that we both may share
Or have I fired the first volley
In a war that may rupture any attempted dialogue?

I may exhort followers to destroy the temple
And watch the fires burn.
I may plead for a good man
Not knowing he will rise and consume me.

I may tell those I love
Of my desire for their happiness,
Without bringing a present,
And expect to be believed.

Rid yourself of “you know” and “well”.
Recognize the silence that needs filling.
Know too the one that speaks truth.
Above all, offer compassion.

No comments: