Sunday, November 29, 2009

Be Reasonable

No doubt she was pretty,
And very well dressed.
18 years old and anxious.
She really wanted the job.

New York in 1961 was an integrated city.
Betty was a negro,
Applying for the receptionist job.
But we had a negro in the company.

My boss, the corporate controller,
Was from Georgia.
I had no such excuse.
“Maybe we should interview Betty”, I said

We had spoken to 7 applicants.
One of those certainly will be acceptable
This was not a racist outfit, our buyer was negro.
What would we be prove by hiring another?

It was late in the afternoon.
“Why not go through a fast interview”, my boss suggested.
“That way we wont have to ask Betty back
And take more of her time knowing the out come.”

I raised no objection,
Went through the motions of screening,
Telling Betty I’d get back to her.
Two days later I called to tell her someone else got the job.

No comments: