Saturday, May 15, 2010

Throwing Stones

A large rock will disturb the water,
Send ripples in all directions.
Some arrive at destinations unprepared
For the assault.

A small pebble,
Thrown with greater force
Might accomplish as much.
If so, it will suffice.

How often have I tossed
A clever verbal condemnation,
Thinking it a small thing,
Discovering later it was large and wrong.

It’s possible that the stone size
Or its speed, are not as important
As recognizing that there may be
An alternative to stones.

I recall smashing windows:
In a church by accident,
And through a school window
By design.

Perhaps it is the intent that matters.
Though the damage might be as extensive,
And the cost as great,
My initial responses were quite different.

I had avenged myself for the sins
Of the school, and was satisfied.
It was not my church and it had not offended.
I needed to be more careful.

No comments: