Friday, July 16, 2010

Child’s Smile

There are few things as genuine
As a child’s tears,
Or ,a big smile
We he is happy

As I walked Rose across the grass park circle,
We stopped to admire a beautiful family scene.
I nodded to the young father
Whose son was resting on Dad’s stomach

Dismounting Dad, our year old protagonist
Stumbled in my direction.
Like many a small child
Intent on loving a puppy.

Why children often have
A genetic attraction to dogs I don’t know,
But I quickly rehearsed
“You must get Mommy’s Ok first”.

Surprisingly this little boy
Was not especially interested in Rose.
Holding up his hands as he ran, passed the dog,
Came toward me with the universal “pick me up” signal.

With a nod of Mom’s head
I was OK’d to lift the child.
He was immediately comfortable
In the arms of this stranger.

Both his eyes and mouth
Smiled at his situation.
A delighted child
In the arms of a great good friend.

Two minutes later I released
Child to Mom’s waiting arms,
Only to have the kid decide
He was happier with me.
This story had a mixed ending.
I lost sight of my list of 100 things
That were perplexing me
As I shared the child's happiness.

I am sure the toddler
Recovered from the loss
When I put him down and left,
But not until he cried bloody murder.

No comments: