Monday, November 15, 2010

Let Me Introduce

My sister-in-law could not walk.
I carried her down the stairs.
My neighbor, anxious to talk,
Was waiting to show she cares.

My problem was immediately clear.
I ‘d forgotten my neighbor’s name.
I greeted her with good cheer.
Alas, my problem with the in-law was the same.

I’d known my neighbor for more than a year,
My wife’s sister for four.
I had no choice but to look sincere,
And hoped for succor.

Perhaps the neighbor’s spouse
Would call out his wife’s name,
From somewhere in their house
Saving me from shame?

Silently I stood, a perfect fool,
Hoping for divine intervention,
Or perhaps the earth would offer a tool,
To ease my verbal suspension.

In time the women introduced each other,
Accepting me as a first class moron.
Unable to invent a convenient cover,
I stood there like a useless pylon.

My advantage, over most
Seriously challenged dimwits,
Is that my memory has always been toast.
Driving me crazy, causing me fits.

No comments: