Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Rich

“They will probably cut the plants back next week,
I don’t think they will be coming this week.”
So spoke the lady who lives in the very large corner house,
Where her plants now cover a public sidewalk.

“I think my gardeners are very nice and do a good job”,
She continues, assuring herself
That she is defending her gardeners,
Who are, in truth, not the issue.

My guess is she knows those gardeners work for her.
She might have to pay them an additional 25 bucks
To stay longer and cut her plantings back.
She’d rather carry the white man’s burden.

She tells me of other homes that are worse,
Notes how lovely her plants look,
And concludes with the observation:
“Isn’t it all about having lovely greenery”?

How great is the leap,
Having denied you have a choice,
To concluding that if your rights
Burden your neighbor, God has chosen you.

No comments: