Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Incident in the Park

Wandering across the small park,
I passed a man with a Jackson Hole red T-shirt.
He confronted me, angered at my walking
The dog, in clear violation of a posted sign.

His two children were nearby when Rose peed.
They were barefoot and could have,
With a small effort, stepped on the wetted grass.
I should have simply apologized.

Failing to appreciate the children’s
Proximity to Rose, I explained
We were just crossing to my house.
I should have said what sign?

He proposed to report me to the police,
I said again, we were just going home.
He then suggested I lacked guts.
I should have accepted his challenge.

I told him his was a rotten example
To set before his children.
I crossed the street to my house.
I should have pointed out the broken glass.

No comments: