Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Last Book

I paid $13.07 for the book.
A paperback mystery novel
That I could have downloaded
For $11.50 and received within sixty seconds.

Online a used copy cost
$6.93 plus $2.00 in freight.
My book is not backlit
And offers no instant access to a dictionary.

It was the first time I had purchased a book
From Arnies Bookshop in 6 months.
I’ve loved bookstores and libraries
Since first I discovered their secret.

Even in New York you don’t
Rush through or look to dominate
Shelves and tables in a library.
And the quiet is almost catholic.

Now, this day, my purchase
Is a memorial.
Here lies the last book
That I will ever purchase over this friendly counter.

No more will I discuss,,
Alternatives to my choice
With the bookworm clerk.
Arnies is closing next Tuesday.

No comments: