Saturday, November 10, 2012

An Old War Wound


I an holding a paper bag,
In the check out line 
At a small grocery store
In Tahiti.

Six people ahead of me.
I am becoming aware of moisture
Forming on the bottom of the bag,
Wherein sits a bottle of red wine.

I suspect that I had 
Placed the wine down too heavily
When adding it to my coffee and cereal.
Or maybe it’s the climate?

What store would offer such grocery bags?
Perhaps the coffee container was damp?
Yes, that would account for it...
Except the bottom of the bag is becoming wet.

There are still three customers before me,
And no garbage can in sight
As the wet becomes a drip,
And starts moving down my leg.

Tahiti is humid and hot,
And I am sweating.
It could be the weather...
But I know it is the wine.

What to do with the wine
Starting to drip steadily,
Suggesting it will, momentarily,
Pour from knee, to toe, to floor.

Only one customer between me and the cashier.
Will the cashier speak only French?
Surely she sees me 
And smells the problem.

James Bond would never be in this situation.
Before the bag disintegrates I can put it down
And run for the door,
Screaming  “I’m Shot!”

My pathetic attempt at “cool” is failing.
People are looking at me
As my shorts turn red 
And the wine puddles at my feet.

Face to face with the cashier.
She smiles, and bursts out laughing,
Grabs the remnants of the  bag
And throws it into the garbage can by her feet.

I pay for my destroyed groceries,
While wishing the ten amused people in the store
A slow and painful death.









   





No comments: