Friday, December 20, 2013

Pain


Time, time without reprieve or consolation
Pushes against my chest 
Reenforcing the pain
That confines my path,
Offering a wealth of rationalizations.
A wall initially appearing impervious,
Proves a pitiful and short lived substitute
For a recognition that both sufferings;
An unhealthy heart and a refusal
To test my talents, serve to insulate.

Nor do I not recognize the value of the dance.
I am not the seminal thinker
Who first voiced, from a safe distance,
Support for those tentative barriers
That give respite, at a price.

Let me fill the day with the kindness of friends,
The love of those I call family,
And the wonders that give wing to hope.
Can I not feel, once more the joy 
Of a child’s brief escape in its dash 
To the oceans edge, 
Or the warmth of the fawn who choses to lie with the lion?

Knowing night will return, 
And eclipse todays sunshine,
Does not void this afternoon's laughter.








No comments: