Friday, March 20, 2015

What A Waste

In the 1950’s Frankie Lane was very popular.
On he flip side of “Jezebel” was
One of the Frankie’s hits, “Rose”.
Today I discovered I still know the words.
I haven’t heard the goddamn song in 250 years.
There are people and places that impacted my life,
Some going back the same 250 years,
And I recall only that I must have been alive
When that person, or that thing, fixed my attention
In a way that absolutely guaranteed an instant revisit
Until I was ashes, or the man in the corner ward.
My guarantee proved worthless,
But, I can entertain you with words that no ancient mariner
Could hope to summon from a distant past.

The song begins…
Rose, Rose, I love you with an aching heart.
Glory was our future, but now we have to part….

Do you want more? I thought not.
But you understand the frustration, don’t you?
So much has been crowded out over the years
To make room for this and 100,000 other lyrics.

How many clever remarks, incredible insights,
And amazing recollections are now buried,
Buried under; Standing on the Jetty ?

Weep, weep for the great literature,
The life changing scientific breakthroughs,
And the possibility of bringing the world to peace…
Gone, all never happened because “the words got in the way”.








--

jerry  

No comments: