Friday, April 17, 2015

Maggie and me

Her vet has suggested it is, perhaps, time.
She's a big dog, and with aging her difficulties mount.
She is incontinent, with serious hip problems.
On occasion we babysit her and two siblings

We share certain traits.
While I am more talkative,
She communicates with equal,
If not greater, understanding.

 Long gone is her need to lead
And ward-off any alien (male) dog.
Now Maggie spends her time splayed
On a convenient carpet or couch.


In conversation with neighbors or friends
I invariably touch a shoulder or an arm.
When being petted, Maggie will look
To put a paw on whoever is proffering friendship.


Unlike me, Maggie has a sanguine view of humanity.
Anyone who get their face close enough
Will be rewarded with a tongue massage.

Did I tell you she is a beautiful creature?

No comments: