Friday, December 25, 2015

The Walk To Hawaii

Andy and me are two years into this journey.
According to my calculations, we are still three years away,
Not including the 5-year return trip.
We may have to concede and fly back.

I measure our progress against our morning walks.
We cover about 2.5 miles 3.5 days a week.
Allowing for time away, we probably walk 150 times a year.
We travel light, no luggage and usually fair weather.

Today the ocean, our constant companion,
Broods, and reflects a gray foreboding sky.
Choppy seas, sheltered by Point Loma,
Suggest a storm further up the coast.

Visitors and locals alike
Walk the miles of uninterrupted coastline
That is Coronado’s ocean profile.
We complete our walk with coffee at the Del Coronado.

We sit on the Del’s elevated deck that overlooks the Pacific,
Passing judgment on the people walking the beach.
I offer an occasional nod, and mark my good fortune.

Oh Lord, I am insufferable




No comments: