Friday, March 18, 2016

Forgetting To Brush

Forgetting to Brush                 

My rating as a handyman is low, very low.
That does not mean I have avoided all work.
Today I was called upon to brush away “ground-in-grime”.
My hot tub had a ring reminiscent of weekly baths
I suffered through seventy years ago.
Two trips, 30 steps up, thirty steps down,
And I was ready to start the job…
Unless you believed in brushes.
I had forgotten the brush.
It was then that I considered Sisyphus.
He spent eternity going up and down a mountain.
That would seem a likely punishment.
I could keep forgetting something only to forget
Something else, when retrieving the first forgotten.
Just maybe this was a learning experience?
On one of an infinite number of thirty step journeys
I might stumble on a great moral or architectural truth.
Of course that would not assist in my handyman task,
which I would have forgotten by the fifth round trip.
Perhaps as I awakened to that “great truth”
The shock might cause a terminal stroke.
In that final moment, holding two universal truths,
(what a terminal truth feels like, and the meaning of a life devoted
to thirty step journeys) might I not receive sainthood?




No comments: