Friday, January 6, 2017

To Belong

Larry Schwartz was a nice guy,
And he was really popular.
To be invited to lunch with Larry and the guys
Was worth a lot.

It was an easy decision to toss Mom’s sandwich,
A good salami with mustard on Rye,
(Telling them it was just a cream cheese and jelly.)
In favor of being one of the boys.

From time to time Gail Smith was Larry’s girlfriend.
Gail was unattached
When we accidentally meet on Avenue U one year later.
It was very nice, talking to this pretty girl.

We said goodbye without my getting her phone number,
Without my inviting her to a Saturday movie,
Without my doing anything that might be constructive.
I was a fifteen year old with few social skills, in torment.

If I had a fresh salami sandwich
It might have led to our sitting on a park bench.
I sure wished I had that sandwich to share with Gail.
Did I say Gail was really nice and very pretty?

We could have gone to the movies,
Maybe held hands.
I would have walked her home,
And she would have become my girlfriend.



No comments: