Thursday, May 24, 2007

Bob

“I now pronounce you Man and wife.”
My friend, for the last 40 years, said this often,
It was his reward as a Reverend to bless marriages.
He never gave me a chance to perform this rite of passage.

It seemed so unfair.
3 times as best man
Certainly seemed to qualify me.
Unfortunately, and may I say selfishly,
His last marriage stuck.

Indeed, Bob is a selfish guy.
I was ready, but the call never came.
Before finding a life partner
A 30-day trial marriage to someone else would have worked.

But no, all my preparations wasted.
What a guy!
Years ago he called to say our tennis game would be delayed.
He was flying to Mexico to get married.

I had no notice of, or any role in that disaster.
Of course he did not heed my sage advice.
“Wait until after our match”
Again, selfish Bob just went south.

I can’t tell you how lucky he is
To have a friend like me.
How many times did I point out his errors?
His only reply, “Thank you for Sharing”.

10 years ago we were 3 for lunch.
Our mutual friend dressed in Eskimo clothing
To avoid any rays. I wore a “T” shirt and trunks
Bob dressed as someone going to lunch..

Do you get the picture?
Do you wonder why I hung on?
You want the untarnished truth?
We are great and loving friends.

No comments: