Friday, July 20, 2007

Ed

We are 2 days short of departure.
Ray & I will travel north,
Checking out the Golan.
Tuesday Ed heads home

Ed is my favorite milkman,
(Granted, not a very competitive position).
This volunteer gig has not met his expectations.
I’m not sure what he imagined.

A decisive man,
At an additional cost of $400.
He will leave today,
Rather than wait 2 days.


Leaving at 8 PM for an 11 O’clock flight,
Returning at midnight.
His flight had left 12 hours earlier,
Smiling sheepishly, accepting his error graciously.

We had met years earlier,
Sharing a love of tennis.
What I most like about Ed
Is his refusal to embrace bad news.

He is a unique person,
Bringing an ebullience
I’d never experienced,
And a belief that things will be great, or at least better.

Neither his demanding work,
Nor life’s share of woes
Had dulled the brilliance of his smile.
Ed is truly glad to meet you.

There is no hesitation in his handshake,
You have to prove your unworthiness.
I saw him awaiting word on a serious surgery,
We hadn’t been in touch for years.
He was genuinely delighted to see me.

No comments: