Saturday, July 11, 2009

Dogs in a basket

Did Moses look as cute as these pups?
His basket, woven of twigs,
Might not have been any larger.
What hope had that weaver for her progeny?

I’ll pretend I don’t see it.
A dog in a basket, maybe two,
Half-hidden by foliage near the brick wall.
Perhaps it will be gone when I return.

Damn! basket still there,
Mom and 8 pups inside.
A tag, attached to mom’s collar ,
Explains the nine dogs arrived from Mexico
In the hope that they might find homes.
A gift from the poor to the wealthy?

I hesitate,
If left, most, maybe all, dead by morning.
Babes a week old, or less.
Mom malnourished, feeding starved pups.

There was choice.
They exist because I see them.
There are far too many mutts,
Be quiet and gone.

Would Kitty Genovese have lived?
What made the dogs my business?
Someone put the dogs in a nice laundry basket.
Stopped their car and placed the dogs with care.

I need only call Animal Services
Police will hold them until tomorrow
A vet will examine and decide their fate.
If healthy they will live.

I have a phone.
What’s the downside?
Sick pups carrying disease?
Make the call, make the god-damn call!

No comments: