Saturday, July 11, 2009

Toby

First graduate from The Habilitat Treatment Center,
Toby had spent 3 years in the program,
2 in treatment, his last year as an employee.
With endorsements and blessings in place,
He would start working in my business on Monday.

As board chair of the program I had spent time with Toby since his admission.
Reviewing budgets and fund raising brought us in frequent contact.
As with just about all the 150 people living within The Habilitat’s sheltered embrace
Toby had a long history of self destruction. Unresolved sexual ambivalence,
Drugs, and the inevitable thievery had lead to jail time.
Paroled to the Habilitat, on condition that he stay clean,
He adjusted well to the verbal pummeling of his ego.
Encounter games, reprimands, kitchen duty seemed to help.


When Raphael, my exiting bookkeeper , said Toby was ready,
I, a true believer, accepted him as a full time employee.
How clever, how quixotic! Toby would thrive.

I chose to disregard evidence that he did not understand our billing.
Pointing out some curable errors, I finished preparations for a month long trip.
I failed Toby because to do otherwise would have inconvenienced me.
No London, no Paris.....

Toby was bright and had made it through a tough rehab program.
But he had come from a womb,
I offered a job, some encouragement and ... some distance.

Upon returning I found Toby had floundered and sunk,
Stealing very little, and leaving a clear path to his door.
The problems he had created were handled without the police.
Toby returned to the program.

No comments: