Wednesday, March 16, 2011

There’s Too Much on My Plate

It’s time to drop down,
Don my safety helmet,
Turn off the electronics,
And see what is left of the tea party.

It seems the Queen has issued edicts
Calling for the beheading of short people,
And the recall of all the even-numbered years.
Losing all those years requires longer odd-numbered ones.

This process is daunting.
She has also recalled all years before 4,000 BC.
All evidence showing life before that date,
Has been pronounced “wrong” and “blast-famous”.

“I want my kingdom back” bellows the queen.
Her consort, once the ruler of a large auto manufacturer,
Booms “off with his head”, “off with his head”.
Then the couple begins a tango.

I climb back to the land of pins.
Pins that show my loyalty
To god, country, job, club and party.
My life’s resume on a lapel.

I have work to do,
Horses to ride & villains to catch.
Emails to write, programs to watch,
And phone commercials that demand my attention.

Alice’s place offered no refuge,
And earth’s surface is infested with noise makers.
I think I’ll look for an unoccupied mountain top
Where I can just listen to “The Performer Previously Called Prince”.

No comments: