Thursday, May 26, 2011

Forgiveness

Finding the depth of his failures,
And personal dishonesty,
Assails me daily.
I will never forget!

He asks for my forgiveness.
But he has not suffered the thousand blows
That I revisit, unsolicited recalls that
Drive knives through my mind.

Yes, we have a history,
Much of it warm, comforting.
Now those memories lay at my feet,
Trampled into the mud of tears.

My wisest option is out.
Time may not be an ally.
Staying, leaves me vulnerable.
I do not, did not deserve this.

Yes, we are not dead,
There are still feelings,
Recollections of love and humor
That strike a responsive cord.

Forgiveness is not fair,
It asks the injured to risk
Further abuse,
And a dangerous uphill climb.

Still, there are tangos to learn
Music to hear,
Friends we share;
And the years have not been unkind.

No comments: