Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Henry's Watch


Henry’s Watch 8/22/11

There’s a gene missing.
Since I recognized the merit
I’ve paraded its absence
By trumpeting my apparent higher values.

Part of the magic of being non-materialistic
Is the appearance of indifference
And slightly puzzled
In the face of a very expensive watch.

In truth, I am uncertain
That gene deprivation is real.
A watch costing more than my car?
How many can your wristwatch seat?

I should at least appreciate the craftsmanship
Of Henry’s very expensive watch.
But, it does not charm me.
I feel no call to congratulate Henry on his achievement.

Still, the learned delight of being untouched
By Henry’s wrist display 
Gives me a quiet satisfaction:
I know I could easily drop a dime on him.

How many could the cost 
Of that watch feed?
Does that sound sanctimonious?
It certainly should!

For love of the game
I will continue to rejoice
In the inverse snobbery 
Of worn knee holes in my jeans.


No comments: