Saturday, January 4, 2014

Portrait


An old man peers into a box.
His scruffy beard, sharp nose and glasses
Remind the observer of  a Vermeer portrait,
“Old Man at His Desk” could be the painting’s name.

It is a dim and silent  scene
With an unnatural light emanating from the box.
He turns his head, his ancient eyes inquire of my presence,
And I am returned to 2009.

His attention is drawn back to the computer screen
And I am aware of testaments; phone, electric light,
Solidifying my hold on contemporary reality.
Still, the artists studio, the smell of the paint, remain.

Facial lines mark his journey
In his eyes a strong belief
In the need for further study
As he ponders the screen’s message.

Often I have sat looking into
A face painted by a knowledgeable artist
Intent on exposing his subject’s
Implacable craving to understand.

400 years fall away as mere layers of diaphanous lace.
I recognize the timeless, universal expression
That marks man as involved and  insatiable,
Forever searching.















No comments: