Friday, January 17, 2014

Ray Pierce


His children recalled Ray’s warmth and humor.
Minister Hansen, 15 years Ray’s spiritual leader,
Who’d known and loved him,
Spoke of his contributions to the community.

20 of us volunteers listened and waited.
Surely someone in current management
Would extoll Ray’s leadership,
Remember the help he offered small businesses.

Why not say a few words?
I had worked with Ray more than most.
He had been a good man,
With self-effacing humor.

Who would be glad I spoke?
His children would have appreciated a warm remembrance.
Probably his fellow church members would have been pleased.
How about Ray? He might have liked the idea.

I let myself off too lightly.
I’ve spoken at other funerals.
True, I had no prepared remarks,
But it would not have been difficult.

It must have been 7 or 8 years ago.
It wasn’t that he and I were really tight.
I think I just didn’t want to be bothered.
It has not caused sleepless nights.

Just a little curiosity, that’s all.


No comments: