Sunday, June 15, 2014

I Am Old


My electro-cardiologist nod said “old”.
“Over 75 we add a check-mark to your score,
Making it more preferable you take this medication.”
He never mouthed “old”, but I’m terribly clever.. I got it!

Half of my teeth are store bought,
And if my head isn’t growing
Then my hairline is shrinking.
But my reflexes are stable... I don’t have any.

I do believe I’m gaining wisdom.
My profound nod carries a sagacious pause,
And I take longer to pass judgment...
Probably a result of  hearing loss.

After checking on the status of my siblings,
(There has never been more than one)
It appears I am next in line for the Big Sleep.
I’m more inclined to daily practice in this regard.

None of the above should suggest I don’t keep up.
I use a nasal electric razor,
And I continue to drive like a New Yorker,
Which keeps my brother-in-law slightly religious.

My long range plan is to be healthy
For 150 years, and I’m halfway there.
Of course I avoid most fried foods,
And walk “jaunty-jolly” every day.








No comments: