Sunday, February 22, 2015

An Apology to Alan


Why did I wait so long?
Because I did not see the point
Of discussing matters with you. but
I’ve changed my mind.

You tasked me with a straight forward assignment
And I did not bring it to fruition.
Perhaps I should not have accepted the job,
But I had not anticpated the difficulties.

I was the adult in the conversation
And should have been able to accommodate your youngest.
The truth, of course, has nothing to do with yesterday.
My apology is genuine, but I write for another reason.

I think you were a good man and a friend.
Taking you for lunch
We could agree on distant limits
That required trust.


We knew you’d be leaving first,
And that allowed, in your better moments,
An honest, insightful inventory 
Of days lost and found.

Our last conversation contained humor and pathos.
Reduced to a morphine diet, still wishing to go on,
Your family asked you to let go.
You and I voted: stay

We exchanged smiles, you coughed
And I left, thinking unkindly of your family.
They weren’t dying and thought in clichés.
It’s 8 years later & I’m saying Hi.





No comments: