Friday, February 6, 2015

Life Measured By Coffee Filters


It’s not hard, but the loss persists.
Every morning there is one less,
As though my morning’s calculation,
Based upon the shaving mirror, was too optimistic.

If a package holds 100
Then each should represent a year (not a day),
Allowing for a life fully lived or wasted,
Assuming there is a difference.

Of course there are ways of fighting the inevitable:
I can empty yesterday’s grinds and reuse the filter,
Or go out for morning coffee.
Both stand to play havoc with my natural order.

When I first open a package of filters,
It is the dawning fof the rest of my life.
I have survived another night,
And the day starts with life unlimited… almost.

I hesitate before cutting the plastic wrapper
Then place the first filter in the coffeemaker.
It is no longer limitless,
And I am one percent less than perfect.







No comments: