Friday, October 16, 2015

Pickle-ball

It’s noon on Thursday
And for the next hour or two
I’ll be playing and/or watching pickle-ball.
It’s got lots of rules and fellow seniors to explain them.
There are usually two people on either side of a tennis net.
The ball is a hollowed out plastic, the size of a tennis ball.
It’s bounce is very unreliable. Sneakers are mandatory,
Unless you mistakenly wear slippers… twice.
If you do, chances you’ll be banished.
You play with a short stemmed wood paddle.
If your serve motion carries to your waist you lose the serve.
You don’t want to lose the serve. Points can be earned
Only if your team is serving.
If you are in the “kitchen” = within six feet of the net,
You cannot hit the ball on a fly.
I am fairly expert at wacking that sucker
While in the “kitchen” and hence, being bad.
I had a lady partner in one game. She was very upset.
She showed me how to serve, but her shot went out of bounds.
I advised her that I did not want to serve that way--- out of bounds.




No comments: