Friday, April 29, 2016

Dilemma: Man with a Cigarette

There’s this screwball standing in front of me. My wife, granddaughter and a friend were relaxing over coffee when this nut shows-up to complain about my smoking. His buddy, who is about to join us, is not a well man.
I explain to them that the hotel patio coffee shop allows smoking. Further there is really no place in the area where I can smoke and drink coffee. The interior of the hotel prohibits it, so I really have no alternative. The nut, now standing over my chair, suggests that we can move to the furthest table or not smoke while they are at the adjoining table. He goes on to say that his friend has difficulty sitting in the lobby bar. It seems he is easily chilled, and without heating he is unable to stay in the lobby.
I again explain my lack of choices, and my granddaughter, now15, loudly insists that her granddad has a “perfect right to smoke right where he is.”. The sick guy offers a sarcastic “thanks a lot” and they leave.

I come here often to enjoy a cigarette with my coffee. It bothers me that those guys got my granddaughter so upset. Of course they have the same right as me to sit on this patio.

No comments: