Friday, April 29, 2016

The Last Drop of Rain

This morning’s rain was not forecast.
It comes as an unwelcome guest,
Not withstanding the bone-dried earth.
For the rain is likely to disrupt my travel plans.
Does my attitude not offend you?
Am I not declaring my convenience sacrosanct,
Thereby discarding the credo that would intone
“ the greatest good for the greatest number”?

Could I not respond that I honor your credo,
But not every day, in every situation?
Surely you would not abandon moderation,
Which calls for elasticity and the recognition
That exceptions mark us a superior species.
Is it not the singularity that has rendered us
Earth’s greatest creators and rulers?

Sadly, our dominance has not always been beneficial,
But that my friend  requires an understanding that transcends
Our time in grade.


No comments: