Sunday, March 18, 2007

Morphine

Morphine. Its been 40 years
Since I met that seductress,
Yet still I recall the shift
From pain to peace.

Not the peace of a becalmed voice,
Calling from somewhere near Moronic.
But a wordless space
Where all was.

The silence omnipresent
I was part of it.
No thought was possible,
Just silence and consciousness

I did not move in my hospital bed,
It did not matter.
The vessel I lived in stayed,
Yet didn’t contain who “I’ am.

I wish I could take you there,
But the fare is not affordable.
A second visit is too terrible to contemplate.
In truth it can’t be done.

A mind free of body loses its center,
All that grounds us is put aside.
A terrifying level of thoughtless comprehension is present,
Far beyond understanding

Color, size, love, hate, need,
Are not.
A universal mind sounds trite
The term maybe meaningless, and mindless

You exist forever, always existed
And it doesn’t matter.
The universe is part of you
And that doesn’t matter

That may be "the peace”.
It is all clear, and
So-o-o comforting
I smile as in a state of grace

No comments: