Sunday, March 18, 2007

Prayer for a Lecture

I don’t lose sleep the night before,
Or rehearse my lines “just once more”.
Let the jokes seem awfully funny,
May the weather be bright and sunny

Not too many or too few,
Hopefully, not too sober a crew.
Some questions, always a good sign
My answers of course, will be viewed as sublime.

It would help if they think I know,
My job is, after all, to put on a show.
To entertain and look profound
Suggesting my feet never touch the ground.

My resume really looks great
It took me weeks to create!
Some parts are actually true
Apart from my name, maybe one or two.

I can’t read my notes, my postures bad,
I feel disheveled. No I’m not glad,
To be standing in front of this ridiculous crowd
Too many people, I think I am cowed.

It’s time to begin, to utter a word
Dramatic and loud I must make myself heard.
I’ll throw light on the subject, the class will be dazzled
Not knowing I’m sweating… and perfectly frazzled.

No comments: