Monday, April 1, 2013

Ice Cream Cone


Chocolate chip is a top ten flavor,
So I took a bite.
Then Marvin & I passed the cone
Between us, until it was gone.

We have been walking, sitting, talking
For forty five years.
Maybe its the same conversation,
With different nouns.

Two senior citizens on a sidewalk bench discussing
Elections, wars and assorted concerns.
Conversation ignored the chocolate chip
In favor of world affairs and diminishing expectations.

I'm thinking that, unlike passing an apple
Or Doobie, we don't include cones,
Beyond family or lovers, in the circle
That approves ice cream sharing.

There is something exquisite,
A Norman Rockwell drawing
That sets a scene, both wholesome and beatific,
When two friends take turns eating an ice cream cone.

I don't know what the cone cost.
It looked to be a one scoop affair,
So I suppose it cost about 3 bucks,
Marvin paid.

No comments: