Saturday, July 6, 2013

Belt on the Stairs


It should not have seemed odd. 
It wasn't the only object out of place.
Lying half way up the staircase,
Paul's belt called to me.

I'm not sure how mind-meld works.
Perhaps it would involve 2 or more sentient creatures.
A brown-leather-pants-belt-IQ
Would never exceed single digits.

So how was the innocuous trouser support
Able to communicate the message:
"Know how I came to be here
And you will know the meaning of mess"?

Kitchen towels, underwear, dishes,
Bicycles tools, even the occasional car 
Can be found misplaced,
Usually in the path of an apparent destination.

No one in this family supports corporeal punishment,
So it wasn't forgotten on the way to a whipping.
Maybe it had been wrapped around some school books
And worked its way loose?

But I think it was placed there by God
As a warning to all who enter this house.
"Beware" she was saying. "If I can do this
I can render your toothpaste tube unusable".





No comments: