Friday, July 19, 2013

Closing Doors


Arriving at the gate 5 minutes before the flight,
Confronted by a closed door,
At a slightly less computerized age
Bob was able to negotiate a seat on the plane.

A thousand butterflies caught a friendly breeze
As I watched the aircraft rising above the trades
Reaching for Jupiter's assisting hand with the following jet stream.
And the world moved from day to a brilliant orange twilight,

At a later time,
When the motions of an aircraft defying gravity
No longer terrified me,
I might have gone with him

A drastic and complicated move.
I was not free of promises.
Commitments, later to be tossed aside,
Seemed irreversible then.

I would be leaving a dream,
A colored by numbers life in paradise.
Material comfort and success mattered,
And I had my share.

Bob more than salvaged his business.
I have found other dreams,
Bigger? Only if you have a measuring stick
Designed for the "I" in you.

No comments: