Saturday, July 6, 2013

Big Blue Bins


Finally they  arrived!
For months we had waited,
Some of us losing hope.
Here at last, here at last.

A phalanx of big blue bins
Invaded our neighborhood,
One bin per house, two for commercial use.
They are large, very large, with metal handles
That assure us they mean business.

Instantly, I form a deep, dark suspicion about these bins.
Is it not possible they have been preprogrammed with  instructions
And a latent electronic trans-receiver, 
Cleverly inserted in the molding process,
Capable of overriding all other signals,
Guiding an incoming “dirty” bomb 
To homes and businesses targeted by a fiendish enemy?

Having alerted the FBI, CIA, and Cheney’s secret bunker
To fears for my village, and by extension all of America,
And receiving no response beyond a preprinted post card
Stating that I should “remain alert to any suspicious activities”,
It seemed necessary for me to call a meeting of  
Right-minded citizens ready to take on the 
Big Blue Recycle Bins.

Undaunted by the meager turn-out
(Only me and my dog, Rose, showed up at the 
Park bench designated as the meeting spot),
And recognizing that I alone understood the threat,
It was time for action.

For two weeks,
In as casual manner as I could simulate,
I walked Rose passed the “Big Blues”
That were waiting to be emptied and,
Perhaps getting final, Trojan Horse instructions.
I whispered a false report into each bin
Telling of  a paucity of  security for local aircraft carrier movements.

Unfortunately, this plan did not draw the villains into the open.
Instead, on the 14th day of my experiment, 
As I was leaving my false information in a “B.B.B.”,
A police car pulled up to the curb.
The shotgun seat cop approached me, much too calmly,
Asking why was I whispering into a recycle bin?
I demanded to see his I.D.
Could his card be fake? Was he working for nefarious forces?

Of course, I refused to explain my behavior,
And it followed as day the night that I was driven to a police station.
Now, a month later, I am safely ensconced in a quiet room.
My attendants do not let me see the “B.B.B.’s” that I know are planted 
Throughout this hospital ---- waiting.










No comments: