Thursday, September 26, 2013

Ignorance


I look at a piece of art
To which I cannot relate.
No, This is not a new feeling.
It happens whenever I open my eyes.

There are pieces of mirrors,
Notes on Chinese fortune cookie size paper
On a wall hanging that is without shape,
Embedded with 100 soda bottle caps.

I like the effect it has on me.
"Silly" is the word that springs to mind,
But I suspect there is more to it,
And as supreme ruler I would demand an explanation.

In a major exhibit at the Guggenheim
I'd be carrying a CD player that tells me all.
Instead I stand and ask the wall
"Why should I think this is good?"

My brain offers assorted responses:
"It exonerates me for standing in this spot so long".
"I like the bottle caps"
"Someone gave this work an award"

I half expect a time will come
When a fully certified attendant
Will point me out and demand
"Bourgeoisie soul, who let you in"?

No comments: