Thursday, September 26, 2013

Xmas In New York


In New York, a strange euphoria 
Captures the city in late December.
What is this metamorphoses?
I think it's hope. 

The metropolis, always so cool, so cynical,
Wears a different mask for Christmas.
Suspended is the certainty 
That all is, inevitably, corrupt

A new-born seen as limitless,
Capable of the extraordinary,
Unfettered from gravity,
Allows those near to imagine the impossible

I am not immune to the small gift,
Of a stranger’s passing greetings,
A seat left open for the old guy,
Even as the train fills to capacity.

Not quite the morphine 
Dispersion of all matter,
Rather the easing of a foot
Stamped down on the gas peddle.

For these few days I loosen the knot,
Let the other car pass,
Feel a little better about myself
Open my eyes, smile, and exhale.

No comments: