Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Old Bearded Man


At the waters edge,
Dragging his small dingy ashore,
The old guy looked exhausted.
Mel suggested he needed help.

Approaching the wizened stranger,
I offered my 75 year-old body to help move his dingy.
Bent forward and leaning inland
He pointed to where the boat should rest.

Thanking me profusely, he settled
Into the sand to watch my progress.
Mel, twenty feet away, remained an interested spectator,
As I dragged the small craft as best I could.

Driven by guilt, and noticing my very limited progress,
Mel and his equally ancient body joined me in the ankle-deep water,
And between us, with the old guy giving directions,
We got the dingy into place.

Parting from the old bearded one,
We wished him well
And asked his age.
Turns out he was 66!

No comments: