Tuesday, May 27, 2014

With a Following Wind


When odds, genes and insight combine
To call for action,
I blame my reluctance to risk
On fear of flying.

I view my frequent unwillingness
To look carefully at inconvenient options
As intellectual timidity and a cynical nature.
A deadly combination.

I’ve little doubt that being in the right playground
Has kept my failures in check,
Allowing for a life not without some crapshoots,
And the occasional success.

Different parents with other priorities,
Slower reflexes and a nation,
Unlike mine, offering less opportunity
To walk, run or fly, would have ended my chances.

So, before I grow more skeptical
I will salute America, while expressing my concerns.
I am one of the lucky ones,
With most boxes checked and the freedom to screw it up.

No comments: