Friday, October 24, 2014

Connections


Standing in front of my toaster,
I considered how things really work.
How did the mind decide on toast?
Did it store “now start toasting”?

How would a far advanced extraterrestrial ,
Armed with knowledge beyond human understanding,
Respond when confronted by a toaster?
What does it do, how does it work?

This morning I carried my Kindle
Into the kitchen, to read as I made toast.
I pulled a piece of bread
Along with jam and low cal cream cheese.

Opening the toaster,
I set the timer for twenty minutes,
And started to insert the bread,
Before realizing something was amiss.

My black, nine by six, kindle
Was half way into the toaster.
Unacceptable!
Even with very tasty jam.

I thought about the books,
All those words, melting,
Running down the screen.
Would something explode?

My friends, I trust you share
The idea that, like an uninformed alien,
Choosing between the bread and the Kindle
Might reduce itself to the question: How would the jam spread?






No comments: