Friday, October 10, 2014

My Date With Sarah


Sarah is way too tall.
Sitting beside her, my head
barely reaches her jaw.
My face must be beet red.

Charlie, my buddy Charlie,
who I claim to have beaten in yesterday’s bike race,
sits on the other side of Sarah.
In the seat behind me smiles the she-devil.

I can’t see her but I know
she is having a great time.
She has just said, in a really loud voice,
“Does your mother take you to the movies often”?

I’m sure the bitch has pimples,
chews gum like a cow
and ...and...
I am going too leap over my seat and kill her.

But Charlie, God bless him, rides to the rescue.
Taking his very large soft drink thermos,
unscrewing its top, he turns to the she-devil and says
“Would you like to see my pet snake’?

It was sixty year ago, but I can still remember her scream,
And her unbridled, unprintable response.
I was never sure I won that bike race.
If I find Charlie I’ll give him a rematch.







No comments: