Friday, October 24, 2014

You Know Better


There were five of us.
Just enough to congeal
Into a one digit I.Q.
And do something without redeeming social value.

This was a long time before social values.
When I was ten, my Mom 
Would’ve supplied the term “constructive”
As the antonym for our behavior.

We five neighboring apartment dwellers,
Not highly-motivated bums- in-training,
Would play stick ball, using parked cars
As launching pads for heroic, leaping catches.

The adult who owned a new red De-Soto, 
Caught us practicing elaborate snares
Off the trunk of his car.
He was unhappy.

Looking at his “not badly -damaged” car,
He expressed his “disappointment” with our behavior,
Then turned a nasty face on me and spat out,
“You, you know better!!”

It was a very weird moment.
I was handed a sort of compliment
While simultaneously carrying the weight
For my buddies, who apparently did not know better.

65 years later and I’ve reached no conclusion.
Just because I was the runt of the litter
And possessed the best leaping ability,
Is no reason to think I really knew any better.




No comments: