Friday, June 19, 2015

Downtown Hanoi

100 cars are scattered between 1,000 motorbikes
The driver, who peddles from behind my one-person carriage,
Is utterly unfazed by the motorized traffic inches from our destruction.

Pedestrians do not seem to recognize the demarcation
That separates safe walking space from no-mans-land.
Sidewalks are vehicular shortcuts, around plastic chairs
Where folks casually sit and down beers.

Every imaginable colored sign is prominent for a few feet:
The shoe store’s bright blue fluorescent is immediately replaced
By the jewelers hideous green, followed by a bleak coffee stand
Whose overhead yellow sign announces genuine American coffee.

A working woman, sits in the day's warmth,
Speaks with a fellow weaver, perhaps a sister-in-law,
Apparently utterly indifferent to yet another day's noise and air pollution,
While two young, smiling, Australian dudes check out the action.

There is little of the tension that characterizes Rome or New York.
Hanoi has seen so much war and death that
Older Vietnam residence may find the city confusing,
A manifestation of a normalcy that is far beyond their experience.

Twenty minutes into my ride I accepted my role.
My driver is my possession.
It was singularly appropriate that I would view the peasants
From my comfortable perch, and marvel at their silliness.





No comments: