Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Why Don't They Hate Us?

At the risk of appearing immodest,
I believe myself to be a frustrated “realist”.
For three weeks in Vietnam I listened,
And heard no condemnation of America.

In relating my surprise to my friend Andy,
He confirmed a similar experience in 1989.
There was no apparent venom then, 
Merely an explanation of the label “American War. ”

For almost 10 years we savaged their country,
In order to “save it from communism.”
We never stopped to recognize they were fighting for unification,
It is still a communist country, but now with a capitalist edge.

Given the 500,000+ troops we sent to Vietnam,
The local fatalities of over 1,000,000 people,
Along with agent orange, and the My Lai Massacre,
Who could forgive?

Maybe it’s Buddhism, followed by 80%
Of the Vietnam population, which finds no solace
In revenge, and encourages acceptance
Of different skin-tones and forgiveness?

Perhaps the improving economy
Moves the Vietnamese to a belief in a brighter future?
They hope for peace and good jobs.
I’m not ready to forgive my generation.







No comments: