Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Best Parking Space In the Western World

The Best Parking Space In the Western World              

Haven’t we all seen the TV drama?
Our protagonist drives straight into the parking space.
No backing in for him, or her; no sir!
No circling the block that allows the villain to flee.

I take adult education classes.
By way of respect there is a large parking lot,
Capable of accommodating 100 cars.
We are almost 300 students in search of parking.

Last Friday I must have saved the life of a small puppy,
Or offered a kind word to a stranger.
Do you suppose my St. Christopher medal helped?
How else to explain the miracle on 55th Street?

Running late for class, I started the ritual.
I drove to the front row, where there are never any spaces.
Today was no exception… until the blue SUV started moving
Out of the best parking space in history!

This particular spot has never been witnessed as empty.
People come to this spot and pray, set up tents and genuflect
“May the owner of the car parked here need to leave right now.”
It never works, never… until this very moment.

It is a very wide space, perfectly aligned with the entrance door.
It has shade trees, and sits just steps from the crepe place.
I lower my head and swear to make a meaningful donation.
I consider skipping the class and subleasing this parking space.

















      

No comments: